2016 might see the biggest field yet to take part in a Blancpain Sprint Series event. A glimpse of what might be the entry list for the first race weekend in Misano is here.
The 2016 seasons starts 8 – 10 April 2016.
20 GT3 cars are entered for the first race of the Blancpain Sprint Series (BSS) in Nogaro on Easter Weekend. Bearing in mind that some changes might appear until the green flag drops, here are some remarks on the entry list.
- The pairing Kévin Estre & Rob Bell at Attempto Racing looks very promising.
- DTM and GT veteran Bernd Schneider is back on the track with GT Russian Team.
- There are six German teams in the BSS: that’s over 50%.
- BMW Team Brasil‘s regular drivers have cimmitments across the Atlantic, thus Maxime Martin & Dirk Müller and the Specrafico bros. will drive the two BMW Z4s.
- Fortec has closed it’s GT operations. Thus, they withdrew the Mercedes in BSS.
The SRO has published the full season entry list for the Blancpain Srprint Series in 2015. It contains 21 GT3 cars of 8 different manufacturers. More details here.
Long-time Mercedes team HTP switched to Bentley.
This teams joined the BSS for the 2015 season:
- Attempto Racing | GER | McLaren
- Fach Auto Tech | SUI | Porsche
- GT Russian Team | RUS | Mercedes
- ISR | CZE | Audi
- MRS GT Racing | GER | Nissan
- Rinaldi Corse | GER | Ferrari
This teams left the BSS:
- Bhai Tec Racing | ITA | McLAren
- Blancpain Racing | SUI | Lamborghini
- Grasser Racing Team | AUT | Lamborghini
- ROAL Racing | ITA | BMW
- Villorba Corse | ITA | Ferrari
The first event of the 2015 season is the Coupes de Pâques in Nogaro from 4th April to 6th April 2015.
22 GT3 cars are entered for the first race of the new Blancpain Sprint Series (BSS) in Nogaro on Easter Weekend. Bearing in mind that some changes might appear until the green flag drops, here are some remarks on the entry list:
- Last year’s FIA GT Series Race at Nogaro had 24 cars on the entry list but only 22 started the race.
- With Stéphane Ortelli, Laurens Vanthoor and Sergei Afanasiev there are 3 of 5 FIA GT Series’ champions present on the 2014 grid.
- Alex Zanardi, Nelson Piquet Jr. and (maybe) Bruno Senna are well know names that might help to grow the series.
- 14 cars for PRO class: very strong; 6 for Silver Cup: decent; 2 cars for PRO-AM: …
- 7 Audi, 4 Mercedes and 4 BMW: Germany really seems to be the “Auto-Nation”: that’s 68,2% of the field.
- Grasser Racing has not named a substitute for the injured Martin Matzke (test crash in Nogaro).
- No Lamborghini of Leipert in Nogaro.
- Boutsen Ginion only takes part in selected races. Nogaro is not one of them.
The Blancpain Sprint Series class distribution regarding driver ratings is as follows:
- PRO: 14 cars (every rating combination is possible)
- PRO-AM: 2 cars (1x Bronze + 1x Platin, Gold, Silver or 2x Silber older than 30)
- Silver Cup: 6 cars (2x Silver under 25)
The calender of the BSS can be see here.
A bit more than one month ahead of the first race of the new Blancpain Sprint Series (BSS), there are 13 cars on the preliminary entry list for Nogaro. A detailed version can be found here.
The number might not be the highest but there not many TBAs to be filled after WRT announced the 2014 driver line-ups. Those teams still have seats to fill:
- Boutsen Ginion Racing: Karim Ojjeh doesn’t have a partner in BSS yet.
- Grasser Racing Team: Austrian sportscar veteran Hari Proczyk is still alone in the 2nd Grasser Lamborghini that is sheduled for Pro-Am.
- Leipert Motorsport: No drivers announced.
Those are the cars for 2014:
- 4x Audi R8 LMS ultra (4x WRT)
- 4x Lamborghini Gallardo FLII (2x Grasser, 1x Reiter, 1x Leipert)
- 2x BMW Z4 GT3 (2x ROAL)
- 2x Mercedes SLS AMG GT3 (2x HTP)
- 1x McLaren MP4-12C (1x Boutsen)
The first season of the new Blancpain Sprint Series (BSS) in 2014 looks to be solid. What do we know two months before the first races in Nogaro?
- Séabstien Loeb might be gone but the series attracted another of the sport’s greatest: Alessandro ‘Alex’ Zanardi who starts in a BMW of ROAL Motorsport.
- WRT is coming with four Audi R8 LMS ultra. The team’s and drvier’s champion of last year’s FIA GT Championship will look strong again in 2014.
- Four Lamborghinis are entred as well. Dutch veteran Peter Kox returns to sprint racing with Blancpain Racing.
- HTP Motorport has hired some talented young drivers but has not yet revealed the driver line-ups.
A detailed version of the preliminary Blancpain Sprint Series entry list is here.
The revised shedule for the BSS season is here.